Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hope

"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.” ― Emily Dickinson

Without hope life feels meaningless. We know this and yet some seem content to rip hope from the clutches of another. I began watching Joel Osteen a long time ago and he was such an inspiration to me that I wanted to make others feel the way he made me feel. I can’t imagine a greater gift than being able to bring hope to a once shattered human being. So it often breaks my heart when I see people rain down gloom on another. Someone is excited about an interview at a potentially new job but there’s a person in their life ready to point out how they probably won't get it. Someone starts dating after a long period of singledom and there’s someone close to them ready to point out all of that person’s possible flaws. Yet, just as easily as things could go wrong, the simple fact is… they could go right!

Whenever I feel life trying to suck me into its negative, hopeless hole I’ve learned to start quoting what God has to say about the matter. That nothing is impossible with God, that He is directing my steps and promised to cause all things to work together for my good. God said He would fight my battles FOR ME and prepare a table of victory for me in front of my enemies. You can’t let the people around you talk you out of your dreams. Even the ones who claim to love you, they may just be so beat down themselves and not even realize how much harm they’re doing by stealing your hope. Still, you would be wise to do as the bible says, “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

I want to encourage you today to not only stay on guard against the hopeless words some may try to speak into your life but also stay on guard that you aren’t doing that very thing yourself. I urge you to learn how amazing it feels when you bring hope to someone – it multiplies in your own life like you can’t imagine! Even God Himself said of giving, “Test me in this and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” This is the only place in the bible I’ve found where God dares you to test Him on something. He is inviting you to take that challenge today, will you accept?

No comments:

Post a Comment