Thursday, August 1, 2013

How To Choose Wisely

Everything you think, do, or say is either helping or hurting you. Ok, maybe that’s a little extreme but wouldn’t you agree that with every choice there is at least a more appropriate one than the other? Jesus said that, “Whoever is not with Me is against Me and whoever does not gather with Me, scatters.” That’s pretty black and white but what about the situations in life that might not be so clear?

For instance, maybe your choice is between staying out of a conflict between a couple you’re friends with vs. offering them wise advice from your experience. Both choices seem practical but there is one that is better than the other. In these cases the only way to know you’re choosing the BEST option is by running it past God first. “Ask and you shall receive”, so apply that promise to decision making if you want to be certain to stay on the right side of God’s will.

There’s a lot to learn about making wise choices just by reading through Proverbs but you can be sure that when you seek God on any matter He will direct your steps. Maybe He doesn’t spell it out on a billboard or speak it audibly but most people would agree they know the most correct choice by just paying attention to that “nagging feeling.”

Call it the Holy Spirit, conscience, gut, or intuition but there is a knowing deep inside that helps you identify what is the right course of action. For me, it’s peace vs. lack of peace. I know that I KNOW, even if I don’t want to admit it to myself, when God is calling me to do or NOT do something. Whether it’s a red flag I choose to ignore or a good deed I rationalize myself out of doing... God counsels me and I know it. So when I lose my peace I know I need to take a moment and evaluate what I may have done/said or not done/not said that I knew better about.

Today I want to encourage you to seek God in every matter. God is not the author of confusion so if you find yourself becoming anxious or uncertain about a choice you’re considering, surrender it to God. The bible says when you surrender everything to God AND HAVE FAITH, He will take care of all the rest. Your needs, desires, problems, questions, ALL of it! He promised to fight your battles FOR you, that He would make your crooked places straight, that He would make a way for you where you see no way. Try letting God direct your steps and you will see the amazing level of peace and joy He lined up for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment