Monday, September 9, 2013

Overcoming

I already had today’s message written out but all evening last night the pastor’s sermon from church that morning kept playing in my mind. It centered on how we make commitments based on convictions we’re having, like I shouldn’t be smoking so I’m going to commit to quit. But then some time goes by and the initial passion wears off and we fall back into old behaviors.

He was saying this usually only happens when we lack the accountability that comes from an outside support source. This is why programs like AA or Weight Watchers works so well. If you’ve read my blog very long you know I often warn you to pay attention to the influences you‘re allowing in your life. And this is why. You will become like what you allow your influences to be. Whether it’s positive people who speak encouragement into you, who call you on your wrong choices/thinking OR if it’s negative people who convince you it’s cool to binge drink or smoke or sleep around or curse every other word or be all out for yourself no matter who gets hurt.

You are your own worst enemy when you invest your time and energy into people who keep you down; who tell you that you’re not enough of this or too much of that; who don’t care enough to boost you and help you develop your God-given character. In order to accomplish your goals in any lasting way you’re going to need encouragement from others. If it’s a 12-step program, great. If it’s a professional counselor, great. If it’s a close friend or two or three, great. But you need someone outside of your situation that will help lift you up and also keep you accountable.

I’ve had people comment on how positive I always seem or how confident and strong I appear. Well friends [lol] I certainly don’t always feel that way. I have bad days and tough circumstances and heartbreaks like anyone else. But I learned this principle a while back so even though I don’t have a ton of friends or a support group, I started listening to an uplifting message every morning while I get ready for work and upbeat music in my truck and I usually listen to another uplifting message sometime before bedtime. I talk to God all throughout the day and seek Him on things that concern me.

I want to embolden you today. Whatever your goal is, to quit smoking or quit binge drinking or lose weight or mend a broken heart, remember this. It didn’t take one day to develop those conditions and it won’t take just one day to overcome them. BUT, you and God will always be a majority and majority rules! Don’t lose hope when it takes you longer than a week to stop craving cheesecake. Don’t give up when a month later you still have to fight an occasional urge to smoke. Keep pressing forward when you hear your ex’s name and it chokes you up still. Everything has a season and this too, shall pass.

Commit to surrounding yourself with positive encouragement of some sort. Keep God at the center of ALL you do. When the enemy throws a lie at you ALWAYS take a moment to bat that down with a truth from God’s promises. Even when you’re at work, do like me and go to the bathroom to speak it! :] If you will commit to this I believe that your situation will turn around, not only faster than you thought but this time you will ONCE AND FOR ALL overcome that difficulty; you will become everything God created you to be and have everything God designed especially for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment